Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Paris Wife and the complications of life

Today I finally finished "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain. I asked for the book our last Christmas together and bought it for myself after the separation. Knowing Ernest Hemingway's history, I knew Hadley was his first wife - first of many. My heart would not allow my head to finish the story...to see it through because I have a personal connection.

I cried myself through the last 5 chapters, re-reading emotions. The underlying message that Hadley told herself...the same message I tell myself. "What is done, is done. No one knows what tomorrow will bring but you must be present."

Yesterday I watched a childhood friend marry. I saw the love, happiness and desire in her pink cheeks and bright blue eyes. I wept tears of joy for her; and tears of sorrow for myself. Selfish? Definitely. Stupid? Probably. But completely honest with myself? Yes.

Life is complicated with moments of happiness and moments of sadness.

Quote from the book...Hadley to Ernest:

"We'll always be friends - delicate friends, and I'll love you 'til I die, you know."


IMG_9040
He gave me this our first Christmas together. I gave it back months ago. Memories hurt but are nessecary at times.














This post is dedicated to Hadley Richardson, Ernest Hemingway and Thomas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...