Tuesday, January 8, 2013

24 Hours - My Trip to Roanoke, VA Part 2

Welcome to part 2 of my 24 hours in Roanoke, VA. This post is solely dedicated to Taubman Museum of Art! I simply have too many photos and want to take the time to break down the area and the experience I had so that others will have a better idea of the area/interests. I've received some very awesome feedback on my first post - which you can read here. If you enjoy these posts please let me know and feel free to share! Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to enter my wacky world.

Much love!

For those of you that do not know me personally - I feel like I'm at an AA meeting. Hello my name is Mika and I'm an art addict. Taubman Museum of Art is only one of many museums in Roanoke. I chose Taubman's while I was researching the area. They simply offered more of what I wanted to see!

As with most museums photography was not allowed in 90% of the areas. For those areas I will link directly to their website.






Welcome to Roanoke!


Taubman Museum of Art


 IMG_8653
This unusual Nylon floating sculpture greets every guest at the museum. Hand sewn by artist Anne Ferrer - "Hot Pink" is suspended 20 feet in the air, giving the rather masculine architectural design a more feminine and rather whimsical feel.


Art Venture was the first area I visited inside the museum. It was inspiring to watch the children reading/painting and opening their beautiful creative minds!


I took this photo for Tamara. :)

IMG_8650

 
IMG_8652
Matching Anne Ferrer sculpture from the lobby.



IMG_8661
Artist: Unknown

IMG_8658
Left: "Quilting Memory Painting by Helen La France
Right: "Self Portrait" by Mose Tolliver
IMG_8657
Artist: Unknown

IMG_8659
This painting was my favorite of all the "Folk Art"
Artist: Theresa Disney

IMG_8660
These were the most unusual pieces. "Buster in Cage 2004" by Marvin Francis who is incarcerated in North Point Training Facility, KY. The most amazing part - they were made with materials Mr. Francis had access to in the facility. Proving you can literally make something from nothing!

Also on exhibit when I visited:

Faberge collection - over 100 separate pieces collected from 1899-1917 ranging from cigarette holders to crystal stamp viewers. Most were originally owned by Tsar Nicholas II.

Judith Leiber Handbags - over 100 crystal handbags. Simply beautiful.

Edward Burtnysky- Collection called "Oil" Mr. Burtnysky shows us in full detail the impact we make on the Earth and on one another. An absolutely beautiful photography collection worth viewing!

American Art from the Permanent Collection - Of course this exhibit was my of my favorite if for no other reason than I was able to view amazing American Impressionists paintings. I love Impressionism and was thrilled to have the honor of gazing upon such strong pieces from a lost era.

State of the Art: Virginia Crossroads - A vast collection of artists from the area (and around Virginia) ranging from sculptures to photography and everything in between. I spent more time in this section than I realized, mainly due to the fact the guard talked me to death! lol

Harold Little - A wonderful painter and Printmaker
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
That's it folks! If you enjoyed my little review please let me know!

Street art outside of the museum. Buy the print here.

There you have it. If you enjoyed my review please let me know! I can't wait to do another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...